Midsummer Magic: The Thin Golden Veil
The summer solstice was an event of tremendous importance to the early inhabitants of the British Isles and Ireland. These people built a number of magnificent megaliths aligned to the sunrise on this day, including the 5,000 year old temple, Stonehenge.
Callanish is a great stone temple dedicated to the Summer Solstice. This mysterious ancient temple sits on the island of Lewis, in the Outer Hebrides. Four rows of stone, which lead into the circle from each of the four directions (East, South, West, North), forms a Celtic cross in the landscape while the stones create an astronomical observatory aligned to the solstice sunrises and sunsets, and the equinoxes.
Due to Callanish being placed so far north, the sun actually never sets on a midsummer evening. Similar is the enigmatic stone circle, the Ring of Brodgar, on Orkney, aligned to the midsummer sunrise. This beautiful structure was known for centuries by local people as the Temple of the Sun.
Celebrate the sun's peak by feasting, dancing, and enjoying nature. Craft a bouquet of wild clover or rose, tying it with yellow ribbon symbolizing the sun.
You can listen below for a Summer Solstice meditation.
1. Craft a herbal bouquet of roses, elderflower, wild hops, clover, and meadowsweet to give to a friend, loved one, place them on your altar, or hang above your door. Do not allow them to touch iron. Tie with a blue ribbon for love or white for strength.
2. Host a bonfire celebration-be safe! Sing, dance, laugh!
3. Share a pic-nique with a loved one. Toast with basil wine or meadowsweet tea.
4. Enjoy a delightful nature hike.
5. Leave honey, whisky, or mead out for the fairies and elementals. Perhaps all three, plus a cookie!
6. Dance outside with friends.
8. Honor the Light by hiking to the top of a mountain (or hill) at sunrise.
I'm sure you can find many delightful ways to enjoy this wonderful, magical time! Happy Summer Solstice!
Watermelon Strawberry Popsicles
2 Cups chopped strawberries
1 Cup cubed watermelon
1 Tbsp honey (raw, wildflower-whatever you like. Don't forget to thank the bees by planting more organic bee friendly flowers!)
1/4 Cup lime juice
Note: All ingredients organic, especially the strawberries!
1. Blend in a blender until smooth.
2. Pour into popsicle molds. You can use ice cube trays and popsicle sticks. Rocket ship molds also work. ;)
3. Set in freezer for 3 hours.
3. Ahhhh! Enjoy!